I am blogging on Living in La La Land & I hope you'll follow along over there!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009


SURVIVAL MODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was my first child, so I was pretty new to the appointments, body changes, and mood swings. Yet I knew when I went for my last checkup that something was wrong, my first inclination was that he wanted to see me weekly and I wasn't that far along to grace the Dr. with my presence every week. The night before I knew that there was something going on with me I just didn't know what, I was restless, nauscious, felt like I had to use the restroom, was hot and cold all at the same time. Luckily my checkup was the next morning ufortunately not until 9:00 a.m. So in all of my discomfort I decided to get in the shower and get ready for my appointment (it was 2:00 a.m.). I paced the floor until about 8:00 when I went to go and pick up my mom who was going to accompany me to the appointment. I showed up at her house and she asked " Why didn't you take a shower?" I told her that I had at 2:00 a.m. and that I didn't feel good. We got to the Dr. and right away he had me on the table measureing my stomach and preparing for a sonogram, it was different from the oters that I have had there was no pointing out of the features. He told me to get dressed and meet him in his office, on our way to the office I told mom that there was something wrong if there wasn't why would he want me to meet him in his office? I sat there in a wingback chair as he told me the reasons for starting to see me every week. My stomach was measuring smaller and smaller each time, and durning the sonogram my sons head was already in the birth canal. What did that mean? That my son was ready to come out, there was no amniotic fluid inside of my sac. What does that translate to.... my son stopped growing when the fluid started leaking, and so he was going to be small. The Dr. had me go to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center where they were more equipped to handle a premature baby. I was transported by ambulance one hour and a half hours from Price to Provo. I got there thinking that this was a mistake and that we would be going home soon, boy was I mistaken. I was hooked up to monitors with nurses running in and out every 5 minutes or so when suddenly they came back in with Dr. Feelgood. I was then rushed into emergency surgery because his heart had stopped beating. They couldn't even wait for the epidural to kick in before they had to deliver him. He was delivered via c-section weighing 2lbs. 4.5oz. Luckily I had a c-section because I got to stay in the hospital for four days while my son was up in the NICU. When I was discharged I didn't want to go home and leave him.The hospital told me about a house that was across the street from the hospital that I could stay at for five dollars a night (cheaper then a hotel) it was like a hotel except it had one large common area with a kitchen and living room. I was so excited to learn that I wouldn't have to leave my son just then the excitement turned to fear, if a cancer patient came and needed my room I would have to leave. I wasn't expecting to have my son early or have a preemie for that matter, so I had no clothes, no diapers, no place to stay no clue what I was going to do.I got an outfit from a very sweet lady who makes and donates clothes to the hospital for the preemies, but I knew that one outfit wouldn't suffice. I headed out shopping looking for clothes for preemies and wouldn't you know it when I had my son preemies were not common. I had to get him doll clothes from the toy section, plastic shoes and all. Luckily I only had to go through this for one month and one day.
Just knowing that another mother doesn't have to go through what I went through,  lord knows you have enough to worry about.
Please think about helping these children and their mothers by donating either your talents, your recipes, your washer and dryer, your taxi, clothes, and your time.
Here is a link to Survival Mode Parents for more stories and information on how to get invoved in your state and community.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Mandy and Jack September 29, 2009 at 11:43 PM  

Wow!! What an incredible story. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that on your own. That's exactly why Survival Mode Parent exists. Thank you so much for sharing your story!!!